Tommy has grown up quickly, and I don't think it is because of his diabetes. He just seems older that many of his counterparts.
When he was a newborn, I would sit with him on the family room couch. Outside our screened door, I would watch as my husband played with our older son, John. I remember one night in particular.
It was late June, and the summer's long days had set in. It was almost 9 pm and still, they played outside. I remember trying to get their attention and tell them to come inside and get ready for bed. After all, John was not yet 3 years old and he still had to get a bath.
Being just home from the hospital for a day, I was still in a bit of pain. I didn't want to get up from the couch. So I just sighed loudly, which woke up a sleeping Tommy. As I held him, all 8 .5 pounds of him, he looked up at me and we shared our first 'knowing glance...'
It was as if he could read my thoughts. He was 3 days old.
I remember saying to him, "You are an old friend, coming over for a visit.' "I know you, don't I?"
Tommy is an old soul. I am not sure of my feelings of past lives, and all that - but I feel that Tommy has definately been on this earth before. John - my oldest - is a 'newbie.' He's innocent, noncynical and trusting to a fault. John is also smart, tactful and curious. Tommy is cautious, intuitive, perceptive and cunning. He is also tactful, loves greatly, loyal and brilliant.
My husband, mother, and others think I am being weird with these ' old soul' thoughts, but I stick by my instinct that he is one.
Sometimes, as I held Tommy in those early days, he would look at me as if to say, "Ugh - I remember being a baby - this stinks.'
We have shared many knowing glances. We are very close. He and I are 'old souls' together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment