here is November - where is the time going? Outside my window stands a tree for which there is no color name that matches - It is gorgeous, somewhere between gold and amber and pumpkin...
News on me: sent my children's book manuscript to the editor at Delacorte Press. She is expecting it and knows it will arrive this week. After one year of writing it and ten years with the idea in my head - it is out of my hands. We will see.
News on Tommy - tommy's last A1C was 7.5!!! Doc. is happy with that - so are we. Getting the blood drawn from Tommy was horrible though, I mean traumatic times 10.
As we drove up to the lab, he was shouting, "I am not going! I am not getting out of the car!"
I carried him in and tried to calm him.
There was a wait - Tommy tried to leave the office. I said, "OK, hope you find your way home," knowing that my boy - the one who is always stuck to me like glue - would never go. So he cries and cries and cries. Other people in the cramped waiting room are silent. Other kids look at Tommy with wide eyes and their parents look at me saying, "Thanks a lot".
But I just whisper in his ear - It will be OK, Mommy is here, you will be fine, etc...."
It is his turn. He sits on my lap and cries like I've never heard him before. It's almost as if all of the sadness and fear about diabetes and school have escaped from their hiding place deep within Tom's 50 pound body.
The phelbotimist inserts the needle Tom screams, "What are you doing to me?" about 5 times - It comes out with a high pitched squeal.
Then, as the needle is in, he screams. "Take it out!" about 20 times in a row. It sounds like a train running along the tracks - takeitout,takeitout, takeitout...." Say it out loud - you'll see what I mean.
And then it is over - He calmly demands, "Tissue." Wiping his eyes and nose, he denies a sticker and says, "Bagel."
I thank the phelb. and leave the waiting room. The other kids are clinging to their parents. Sorry - it is not my fault the lab doesn't have sound proof walls!
We get to the car. We are quiet. I said, "How are you now?"
"ok," he sighs, "It wasn't that bad."
Next time - Daddy takes you, I think.
We go for a bagel and a talk and all is OK.
*Sigh*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
We have the same experience with William - the only way they do the A1C at our HMO is a blood draw in the arm (inside elbow). I *wish* we could do the finger prick like most people! For awhile I was buying those home A1C kits but they stopped selling them.
Frankly now I just don't take him to do his A1C but 2x a year. I think the home kits are coming out again sometime soon. Our pedi endo said it was fine to do the home kits 3x a year and the lab once.
The A1c is such a bogus thing I think - if you test enough and have a meter that gives averages then you pretty know what their A1c is anyway. The only value I see for it with us is to compare that with his meter average. If it is way off then we'd know he was having undetected lows or highs. Otherwise it is a horribly traumatic experience for William with zero benefit. I've also tried to find a lab that I could just pay for the finger prick A1C but no luck.
Don't they get stuck enough!!!! :-(
Carol and MEt,
I would suggest you both invest in a tube of LMX 4 cream. When taking Tommy or Dubs, for a blood draw put that on the area. It will numb the area and make it a much less traumatic experience for the boys.
Wendy the Asskeeper
Heh - I used emla cream last time on William - I did both arms and it was on for about an hour before the draw. Then - OF COURSE - they are not able to find a vein in either arm so they end up using the top of his hand!!!! ARGH!
So...I wonder if I should do his arms and his hands next time or what? It would be funny if it didn't upset him so much! And if I did those 4 spots they'd probably try his foot....
Hello,
the name of your blog caught my eye, I noticed you have not posted in a long time so I don't know if you will get this. My son Tommy was diagnosed at 21 months and I have started a blog for him he is four years old now. I am really interested in how your son is doing with school now. I am worried about mine starting kindergarten. Blog is www.IDkidsshow.com
Jamie
Post a Comment