Tommy is now one month into Kindergarten. He has survived and so have I but the nerves remain, for both of us.
He has been on the low side at lunch time - between 60 - and 80. His teacher has noticed that on some days, right before lunch, that he loses focus. Aside from talking to his endo about readjusting basal rates, I am going to suggest a skittle or 2 or 5 , one half hour before lunch, to give him a boost.
I had his conference last week. Academically, he is doing fine. Knows most of his letters and sounds, numbers, etc. - Loves to participate during circle time, loves stories and talking about them.... But - his teacher did say that at times - he is 'inconsistent'. Meaning - some days he exhibits that he knows the stuff and other days - not so much. We talked. She wondered - is there something like a processing problem, attention, etc. Sighing, I said - think about when you are felling really tired, hungry and blah - Can you think well? Teach well? I think it is his bg coming down.
Now, I do know Tommy. He can be stubborn. He can give up at times. He does not like to draw all of the time. (so much of the centers in illustrating things - come on, not all people like to draw! He would much rather talk and perform - that is another story for another blog entry - :) )
But - he is smart and funny and interesting.
But - he is not completing any center independently. And he 'needs to.'
And he is 5 - just 5. Already stressed about school. Already loving the weekends and not Sunday nights so much.. And he is 5.
Let him put stickers on instead of drawing an alligator, or an apple or a tiger. He is not finishing these d - - - centers b/c he does not feel confident in his drawing and writing. So - I will work on it with him - but in the meantime - how about giving Tommy the tools he needs so that he can succeed?
The nerves are certainly raging - one month in. But today - he has a mild fever so he will be home. We will bake apple pies, muffins and cake feom the bushel of apples that we picked from a local orchard - We will practice some writing - We will snuggle on the couch. We will breathe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I remember my older son just didn't like to draw - or couldn't draw or wouldn't draw - I was never sure why - when he was younger. I am certain he would have failed kindergarten if drawing had been a requirement!
Another thing they had to do was color - they colored everything under the sun. And he never liked to color either (how did this happen - I STILL love to color but never could get him to do it.). William doesn't like coloring either.
I don't know what I'll do with William in school before lunch. At home he still sometimes has a good size drop and other times not - with little rhyme or reason to it. Do they have a mid-morning snack at school? We have never done one at home so I have to figure out how to do that too. We just eat lunch early! ;-)
Post a Comment