Wednesday, November 05, 2008

November 4. 2008

November 4, 2008

At 11:03 pm, I heard Charlie Gibson, from ABC News, say that Barack Obama had been elected President. I was sitting at the computer, working on PTA things and listening to the TV, left on in the family room.

Hearing the news, I stood up, covered my mouth with trembling hands and walked to the TV. Watching the electoral map go over 270 in favor of Obama, I released a breath I didn’t know I was holding. With the force of the expelled breath, I feel that I had been holding it in for 8 years. Most definitely, the breath held for the almost 5 years since Tommy was diagnosed with type one diabetes.

Thinking of Tommy, I sprinted up the stairs to awaken him to tell him the news. He was curled up next to John in our bed. I shook his shoulder and said, “Tommy – wake up. Obama won! Tom, he won!” Tommy sat up and looked at me and said, “Thank God.”
Smiling, he returned to my side of the bed, laid his head on my pillow and went back to sleep.

Next, I went into John’s room. I could tell that he was still awake – the little stinker had smuggled up his Nintendo DS and was playing under blankets. No time for scolding, I ‘woke’ him up saying, “John-John, he won. Obama won!” John opened one eye and then the other, smiled and put both thumbs in the air and said, “Yes!”

I ran downstairs to the family room with tears in my eyes and watched the historical results. I watched John McCain’s fabulous concession speech and felt warmth for the man for the very first time. Waiting for Barack Obama to come and speak to the crowd in Chicago, I flipped channels, watching people celebrate all over America. It reminded me of footage of when World War 2 ended.

Then, at a little before midnight, Obama emerged on stage in Chicago’s Grant Park. With his wife, Michelle and daughters, he smiled, clapped and waved to the crowd. When he spoke, I hung on every word. Things that I will always remember were:
- The people in the crowd’s glistening eyes as they listened
- How Obama spoke of the love he has for his wife and family
- How when he repeated in his speech, Yes We Can – I was saying it too.

I feel that now we can get the research to find a cure for diabetes. Now we can end the unjust war. Now we can restore the economy. Now we can believe in a President again.

After Obama spoke and I turned off the TV, I went to shut down the computer. In my email box was the letter from Barack Obama:


Mary Ellen --
I'm about to head to Grant Park to talk to everyone gathered there, but I wanted to write to you first.

We just made history.

And I don't want you to forget how we did it.

You made history every single day during this campaign -- every day you knocked on doors, made a donation, or talked to your family, friends, and neighbors about why you believe it's time for change.

I want to thank all of you who gave your time, talent, and passion to this campaign.

We have a lot of work to do to get our country back on track, and I'll be in touch soon about what comes next.

But I want to be very clear about one thing...

All of this happened because of you.

Thank you,

Barack


I realize that all of his supporters got this email. But – it made me feel good to get one.

I am so happy, hopeful and thankful. Like a sleepy Tommy said, “Thank God!”

No comments: